Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Cabbage Stew for a Stormy Day

I have been loving the weather lately. There is something so comforting about thunderstorms, the sound of rain pelting against the window. I find it so relaxing and peaceful, it's like everything starts new again after a storm. The flip side of course is being stuck in extra traffic on the way home from class because everyone suddenly forgets how to drive when it's raining. But once I got home I was greeted by my lovely box of organic produce from my local co-op which consisted of a huge head of green cabbage. I took this and turned it into such a deliciously wholesome stew that couldn't have been better suited for a rainy day.


1 onion, diced
3 ribs celery, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 head large green cabbage, chopped into long thin strips
4 carrots, sliced into thin rounds
1 lb potatoes, cut into cubes
1/3 cup pearled barley (or substitute with GF grain)
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon ground thyme (I used 1/2 tsp ground thyme and 1 tsp fresh thyme from the garden)
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon rosemary, crushed (I used 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary from the garden)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 cups vegetable broth
3 cups cooked great northern or cannellini beans (or 2 cans, drained- make sure it's BPA free!)
1-14 ounce can diced tomatoes (I used a box of cherry tomatoes that I had from the co-op, I just made sure to take the skins off first- grueling process but it was worth it)

For serving:
Parsley, chopped
Good quality olive oil, I really like Bragg's unfiltered unrefined cold pressed extra virgin
Coarse salt

This seriously couldn't be easier. In a large stockpot combine the vegetables, seasonings, barley, broth, beans, and tomatoes- cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to a high simmer for 45 minutes, the last five minutes remove the lid. Spoon into bowls and garnish with parsley, a drizzle of olive oil, and coarse salt.

*Makes 6-8 portions, freezes excellently
*This can also be made in a crockpot, cook on how heat for 7 hours

Recipe adapted from Susan Voisin

No comments:

Post a Comment