Friday, June 21, 2013

TuNo Salad

TuNo (get it? Like tuna!). Clearly my sense of humor is getting worse. Anyways, every once in a while I really crave a good tuna salad sandwich. I've tried a few recipes, none really satisfied my cravings. I ended up coming up with this recipe through lots of trial and error. It is truly delicious and it's the spot. I either make a sandwich out of it with a thick slice of tomato, some onion and a piece of crunchy lettuce, put a scoop over a salad, or I just eat it straight from the container ((oops, bad manners?)) with some pita chips.

1 can BPA free Chickpeas
1 scant tablespoon dijon mustard
3+ heaping tablespoons vegan mayo (start with 3 and add more if necessary)
3/4 tablespoon finely ground kelp powder (you can get this at any health food store or online, be careful it's not granules, the flavor in my experience isn't as concentrated as it is in powdered form)
1/4-1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 small celery rib, diced finely
1 teaspoon capers (optional)

In a food processor add the chickpeas (once drained and rinsed), the mustard, the mayo, and the kelp powder- pulse until almost smooth, you want it to still have a few chunks in it so it has a similar consistency to real Tuna salad. Mix in the salt and celery and optional capers.

No comments:

Post a Comment