Friday, March 28, 2014

Baked Falafel Wraps

As most of you know the deal in my house goes like this: I can live at home rent free (as a budgeted graduate student this deal can not get any better) as long as I make dinner five nights a week. I really struck gold on this deal; my family keeps a vegan diet in the house (hooray for health!) and I'm able to expand my recipe index one dinner at a time. Well, I've been slacking hardcore lately. I missed two dinners last week, because some extremely important opportunities, or what not, came up. And by opportunities I mean, a cookout with my childhood best friend's family and a Girls season finale night- in which I needed to be away the whole night to both mentally prepare for this finale, and then stay up talking about it after with my girlfriends. I'm a busy gal, what can I say. Anyways, I got the guilt trip from my mom not long after my missed dinners: "I don't care so much about the dinners, but I miss spending time with you". Dagger to the heart. My Mama Bear misses me. So I buckled down and decided to make her a dinner she would love, and I'm pretty sure I succeeded- this dinner was spot on.




Falafel
1 15oz BPA-free can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro and parsley mix (or either or, depending on your taste)
1/4 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons chickpea flour
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast 

Toppings:
*If you're gluten-free, use a GF wrap or omit the wrap and serve over a salad instead
Tortillas (I used habenero lime soft tortillas from Trader Joes, which were to die for)
Arugula, or other preferred lettuce
Tomato, sliced
Cilantro/Parsley for garnish, optional

Tahini sauce
2 heaping tablespoons tahini paste
2 tablespoons vegan mayo
1 1/2 lemons, juiced
2 tablespoons Franks hot sauce, optional
1-2 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons dried dill
Water, to thin, as needed

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Combine all falafel ingredients in a food processor until it forms a 'dough ball'. Using a small scoop, make small rounded balls, flatten slightly, and place on a prepared baking sheet that has been sprayed with non stick spray. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.

While your falafel are baking, make the tahini sauce. In the food processor combine all ingredients until smooth. Add a little water to thin it if necessary. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Place in fridge to allow flavors to marinate.

Heat the tortillas in the oven for a minute before assembling. Lay each tortilla on a plate, sprinkle with a bed of arugula, tomato slices, and two or three falafel patties. Drizzle with the tahini sauce garnish with the cilantro and parsley before serving.

Makes 10-12 mini falafel patties

*I recommend doubling the tahini sauce recipe since it was such a big hit with the falafel.

Recipe adapted from One Green Planet

No comments:

Post a Comment