Friday, March 8, 2013

Anna's Vegan Mac n' Cheese

My friend, Anna, was determined to recreate Annie's vegan Mac N' Cheese, and in the process I think she came up with something even better. It's so good that I crave it on a weekly basis, and now I've started making it for my family as well.

-1 package pasta shells (I use GF)
-1/2 cup vegan butter 
-3 1/2 cups boiling water
-1/2 cup flour
-2 tablespoon soy sauce
-1 teaspoon salt
-Pinch of cayenne
-Pinch of turmeric
-1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
-1 teaspoon mustard powder
-1 cup nutritional yeast flakes

Cook pasta according to directions, drain, set aside. In a large sauce pan over medium heat melt the margarine, once melted slowly whisk in the flour until completely smooth. Add in the boiling water, soy sauce, salt, cayenne, turmeric, garlic powder and mustard powder, whisk until combined. Continue to cook until it starts to bubble, then whisk in the nutritional yeast until smooth. If it's a bit too thick add in a few tablespoons of water until desired consistency. Toss shells in the sauce and serve.

Makes enough for 6 portions

No comments:

Post a Comment