Friday, March 29, 2013

Lemon Basil Cashew Cheese

I've realized making the transition to veganism is more of a mental challenge than a physical challenge. Through this process I've become more aware of what I'm eating and why it matters. If you're interested in learning more about why your food matters I highly recommend the book The Food Revolution by John Robbins. It's forever changed my life, and I hope it brings some insight to yours also.

I originally made this Lemon Basil Cashew Cheese as the replacement to the ricotta cheese in my lasagna. The cheese was so good that I used the leftovers as a replacement for hummus. I snacked on it with cucumbers, and pita chips, and I'm even thinking about using the last bit for my Cheesy Kale Chips recipe, that is, if my brother hasn't polished it off.

1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 30 minutes or overnight
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup water (or more as needed)
3/4 cup fresh basil leaves (lightly packed)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast  flakes
Pinch of salt

Drain the cashews and add them to the food processor along with the garlic, pulse until the mixture is well chopped. Add in the remaining ingredients and pulse until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate for up to two weeks (I seriously doubt it'll last you that long).

Makes just over 1 cup

Recipe from Angela, blogger of Oh She Glows

3 comments:

  1. Cashew cheese is epicness. Almond feta is also another yummy option!
    I have Artisan Vegan Cheese by Miyoko Schinner. I've had trouble with a couple of recipes but maybe with some help we can have a cheese making party. She has both instant & aged options.

    -Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you'll have to fill me in on the almond feta recipe! I'm always down for a vegan cheese making party :). Maybe over break!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete