Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Samosa Stuffed Baked Potatoes

I'm a huge fan of vegetable samosas (well, all Indian food to be exact!), so when I came across this spin on samosas in my trusty Veganomincon cookbook I just had to make them. They came out to be delicious (even though they weren't wrapped in crispy dough like they usually are). They ended up getting rave reviews, and to be completely honest I secretly ate one for breakfast the next morning. Later on I got to thinking... these would be awesome if I stuffed mini potato halves and served them as hors d'oeuvres. Or...I could skip the potato halves altogether and just roll the samosa mixture into tiny balls, bake them, and serve them with toothpicks and dipping sauce on the side. How fun would that be as a little appetizer? Oh, the possibilities are endless...



4 large Russet Potatoes, scrubbed, baked, and cooled
1/4-1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons peanut oil
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1 heaping teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
1 yellow onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
2 heaping teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 heaping teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup frozen peas (I did a heaping half cup because I really enjoy the pea element in samosas)
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Extra oil

Once the potatoes have baked and are cool, slice them lengthwise and scoop out the flesh into a bowl. Set aside the skins for later. Mash the potatoes with the water and set aside. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

Heat the peanut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot add the mustard and coriander seeds, place a lid on the skillet because the mustard seeds will pop out of the skillet. Allow the seeds to pop for about 30 seconds, then add the onions and carrots, saute for 7-10 minutes until the onions begin to brown.

Add in the garlic and ginger, saute for another minute before adding the cumin, turmeric, and sat, along with a splash of water. Stir well, then add in the potatoes, mixing until everything is incorporated. If the mixture is dry, add a splash more water to it along with the lemon juice. As the filling is heating through take a tiny bit of oil and brush the insides of the potato skins, then carefully spoon the filling into them. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes before serving.

I usually sprinkle these with some chopped mint from the garden, I also drizzle on some leftover homemade mango jam. Normally samosas are served with a sweet tamarind sauce and a spicy cilantro chutney, but I made do with what I had and it turned out to be spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment