Thursday, December 5, 2013

Cowboy Cookies

My friend Erica is the ultimate Baker. I, to put it mildly, think baking is torture. But I am determined to expand my skill set. Tonight she came over for Girls Night, yeah- it's a thing, get on it, and we made Kumquat Mojitos and Cowboy Cookies. She sells these cookies at school and I'm always lurking for the crumbs. Now I have a whole batch! I'm in heaven.

Famous Cowboy Cookies!
After our Baking 101 session. Excuse the look of exhaustion, we've been in class since 9 this morning.
2 cups quick-cooking oats
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup non-dairy milk (we used almond because I had it opened in the fridge)
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds (we subbed it with chia seeds because I have a HUGE aversion to flax)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup coconut, shredded unsweetened
1 cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips (semi-sweet, can also use chopped chocolate)
1 cup pecan pieces, chopped and toasted

Preheat the oven to 350°. 
 
In a medium bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda and powder, and salt. In a second bowl whisk together the oil, sugars, milk, flax/chia, and vanilla.  Fold the flour mixture into the sugar mixture, before completely combined fold in the coconut, chocolate chips and pecans. Roll the cookies into mini golf ball sized balls, then slightly flatten. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 14-16 minutes, then allow to cool for 5 before serving. 


*I grew up eating frozen cookies, my great grandma used to bake them and stick them straight in the freezer. By the time we got our little hands on them it would take us 20 minutes to gnaw through one. I still prefer my cookies that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment