Thursday, December 19, 2013

Holiday Apple Crisp

This apple crisp is killer! I was skeptical at first because I have a terrible baking track record, and the fact that I hate dessert doesn't help either- but I took a chance and really surprised myself. Maybe I'm not such a terrible baker after all! Even my brother, who doesn't like baked fruit, got out of bed for some. You realize how much motivation that takes, right? This would be perfect as a lighter dessert option for Christmas!



4 large apples, I used honey crisp because that's what I had on hand but I know granny smith or golden delicious are usually recommended for crisps.
3/4 scant teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup AP flour or almond flour if you're GF
3 tablespoons plant-based butter
1 tablespoon coconut oil (I used unrefined, but refined would work also)

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a small casserole dish by spraying it with nonstick spray, then set aside.

Peel your apples, then slice them into 1/4-inch slices. In a bowl coat the apple slices in the cinnamon and salt, then pour your spiced apples into the prepared dish. Using the same bowl that you used to spice your apple slices add the sugar, oats, flour, plant-based butter, and coconut oil and mix until well combined. Pour this mixture over the apples and bake in the oven for 60 minutes, until the apples are tender and the streusel is browned. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving. You can serve it by itself or with some vegan ice cream on the side. Personally, by itself with a cup of tea- now that's my idea of perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment