Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Colcannon (aka mashed potatoes and greens)

Must I continue to remind you how much of a carb girl I am? Potatoes? Oh my god yes! I could eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I still wouldn't be sick of them. These are phenomenal. Colcannon is an Irish dish that is incredibly easy to make and so delicious. I'm guilty of eating a huge bowl of this cold straight from the fridge in the middle of the night. If you've never had this before, it's similar to a mashed potato, except better in my opinion.

2 pounds Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 cup vegetable broth
Salt, to taste
8 ounces kale, stemmed and finely chopped
2 tablespoons plant-based butter or olive oil
1/2 cup plain unsweetened nondairy milk, warmed (I used almond, but soy works too)
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste

Oil the bottom and edges of the slow cooker, or spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Add in the potatoes, broth, and 3/4-1 teaspoon salt (depending on the saltiness of your broth). Cover and cook on low until the potatoes are soft, afbout 4-5 hours. While your potatoes are cooking, steam the kale until tender, 5-7 minutes, set aside. Once the potatoes are done use a potato masher to mash the potatoes right in the crock pot, use a wooden spoon to stir in the reserved kale, vegan butter, warmed milk, and pepper. Adjust for seasonings and serve.

*You can substitute the kale with chard or spinach

Recipe by Robin Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment