Saturday, August 10, 2013

I Can't Believe It's Not Bacon: Split Pea Soup

Yeah, yeah, yeah- my picture of this soup may be subpar... but I can assure you the soup is not! It all started Tuesday when a friend and I traded lunches after class. I brought her some green curry and she brought me some split pea soup. I warned her before taking a bite: I'm not a fan of the split pea... But then something magical happened. Spoon to mouth I instantly fell in love. It was incredible! I kept saying "How?! It tastes like its been cooking for days in bacon fat, it's so meaty and delicious!". This is definitely the soup you make for the carnivores, just don't tell them it's vegan until after they have a bite- they won't believe you! Oh, and it gets better: it's a crock pot recipe!!


2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1 celery rib, diced
1 medium to large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
7 cups vegetable broth
1 pound split peas, picked through and rinsed 
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon liquid smoke (I used hickory) 

In a pan add the olive oil, once hot add the diced onion, carrot, and celery, saute for five minutes. Add your sauteed veggies to the crock pot along with the remaining ingredients, except for the liquid smoke. Cook on low for 8 hours (turn it on before work and wah-la, dinner awaits when you get home) or cook on high for four hours. Turn off the crock pot and stir in the liquid smoke and salt to taste; serve up!

Makes roughly 8 serves and freezes excellently

Recipe adapted from Fresh From the Vegan Slower Cooker by Robin Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment