Saturday, July 27, 2013

Purple Potato Mash with Rosemary and Caramelized Onions

I love mashed potatoes, I am totally a carb and comfort food kind of girl. When I discovered I had gorgeous purple potatoes in my basket this week from the food co-op I knew I wanted to do a mash.



1 1/2 pounds purple potatoes
Kosher salt
1/2 cup almond milk
4 tablespoons non-dairy butter
4 tablespoons rosemary, chopped finely
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large white onion, sliced into half moons
1 tablespoon garlic, minced

In a large pot filled with cool water add the potatoes and a large pinch of kosher salt, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, cooking for 25 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Meanwhile, In a saucepan over medium-low heat add the milk, garlic, and rosemary to seep. In a separate saute pan add the olive oil and onions, cook for 10-15 minutes, until caramelized, over medium heat. Remove the carmelized onions from the heat and chop them into little pieces. Once potatoes are done, drain them and place them in a bowl along with the butter and mash the potatoes using a potato masher. Then, using an electric beater whip the potatoes as you pour in the milk mixture. Once the potatoes are at the consistency of your liking fold the onions in, add salt to taste, and serve!

Recipe adapted from Daphne Oz

No comments:

Post a Comment