Friday, July 26, 2013

Zach's Favorite Smoothie

Years ago when my brother and I were younger my parents would load us into the car, along with our German Sheppard Daisy, and take us to the dog park where we spent hours running around trying to get Daisy to do fancy tricks, burning up more energy than our German Shepard ever could. ((Side note: where did all my extra energy go?)). Afterwards we'd stop by Jamba Juice and order a Berry Lime Sublime smoothie to cool off. It's been years since I've had one of those smoothies, but everytime I make this smoothie at home my brother always says it tastes just like our childhood.

1 large extra ripe banana, frozen
1 ripe peach, frozen
1/2 cup mixed berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries), frozen
1/2 cup vanilla almond milk (I use mine, but you can sub for store bought or replace with water)
1/2 cup water

In a high speed blender (I use my trusty vitamix) blend all ingredients, adding more water if necessary. Makes enough for two servings.

Yes- you can use none frozen fruit, it won't be as frosty, but that's okay. I use frozen fruit because I always have it on hand. Because this is my go-to smoothie I buy bananas in bulk, once they're super ripe I peel them and toss them in the freezer. Because it's peach season I'm able to get really delicious peaches, so I also buy those in bulk, slice them up and freeze them. And I always keep a bag of mixed berries in the freezer, ironically Costco has large bags of organic mixed berries and the price is hard to bargain with. That's basically my freezer in a nutshell.

No comments:

Post a Comment