Sunday, January 6, 2013

Harissa Paste: An Introduction

 
It has been brought to my attention that despite the fact I frequently talk about Harissa as the must have staple ingredient in every kitchen, no one seems to know what I’m talking about. This is my secret ingredient to jazz up dishes, this is my go to spice when throwing together a quick dinner, this is the only ingredient in my cabinet that I can’t find an acceptable substitute for (no matter how hard I Google) when I run out. Am I being dramatic? It’s possible. But I do love everything about Harissa paste, down to the little tube it comes in.

Harissa is a North African chile paste that has a decent amount of kick to it, doesn’t scorch off your tastes buds, and has a mild but delicious taste. I can’t quite describe the taste, it’s a bit tangy and a little spicy- but doesn’t have that overwhelming chili powder taste like many chili pastes do.

Where can I get this, you ask? Well. I have looked long and hard for places in my area that carry it and sadly I have only found one. Whole Foods. But if you don’t have a Whole Foods in your town, don’t fret… Amazon also carries it, here! If you are going to track it down in your local Whole Foods, make sure you check the ethnic spice aisle first, where they have Indian and Moroccan foods, as well as the tomato sauce aisle. I have seen it in both aisles, never on the same day though.

No comments:

Post a Comment