Saturday, January 5, 2013

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

I’ve been dying to cook- absolutely dying. I’ve day dreamt my way through the week just knowing that Friday I will be able to make all the things I’ve been obsessing about since Autumn has arrived. I’ve done a mass grocery shopping and was prepared to spend the whole day in the kitchen. And then… something tragic happened. I was in the middle of slicing an onion with my brand new knife set when I somehow cut my thumb open. Appetizing right? I have never cut myself in the kitchen before- so you can imagine my state of shock when this happened, with my brand new knife set, on today of all days. I mean, for heavens sakes- this was supposed to be my cooking extravaganza Friday. And I know most people would have brushed themselves off and moved forward- but I couldn’t. I couldn’t get past the tip of my thumb. And the hours crept by.. my Friday wasted. But somehow, miraculously, the pity party departed sometime around 10 pm and I had to redeem myself. No, this was not a beautifully braided sweetbread with lemon curd and sour cream- however, this was redemption.
 
 
 
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 15-ounce can of pure pumpkin puree
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons cinnamon, dived in half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda. In a seperate bowl add the remaining ingredients (leaving aside 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon sugar and the chocolate chips). Whisk the ingredients until well combined, then slowly add the flour mixture. Mix in the chocolate chips (if using). Grease a mini muffin tin, filling the muffin holes 3/4 of the way full. Combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon in a bowl, sprinkle a hefty pinch over each batter filled muffin hole. Bake for 15 minutes, allowing them to cool before trying to remove them from the tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment