Sunday, January 6, 2013

Spiced Apple Sauce

I hate to call this apple sauce, I really do. Apple sauce is for infants, school children, and those who lost their teeth. This is not apple sauce, this is entirely different. This seriously tastes like pie filling. It’s so delicious that even my mother, who is such a skeptic, constantly calls me asking ‘Can you please make me apple sauce?’ or better yet ‘Are you making the apple sauce for Thanksgiving?’.  Eventually I broke down and taught her how to make it because I could no longer deal with the applesauce harassment.

8 apples (I prefer a mixture of Honey Crisp and Jazz apples)
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Peel the apples and take out the core, then cut the apples into quarters. Place them, along with the water in a crock pot and cook on high for 2 hours, or if you want to have it baking longer, you can put it on low for 3 hours and high for one. Every 45 minutes or so, just stir the apples and break them up a bit with the back of your spoon. Once the apples start to turn saucy, but still chunky, add in the cinnamon (the last ten minutes of cooking time ideally). Continue to stir on occasion, sometimes the apple sauce is finished before the timer, so just be aware. It is best served warm. I don’t add any brown sugar to it because it is naturally so sweet, but if you do add sugar do so sparingly. It always tastes so much sweeter once cooled.

I tend to make this in huge quantities so I can refrigerate the leftovers and eat them for breakfast, or as a snack. I often pack a little as part of my lunch for school and I eat it for dessert. It's always good to have on hand, it helps me when I'm craving something sweet, I know this will satisfy my cravings without leaving me with guilt later.

Figure about 1 1/2 to 2 apples per person, as they drastically cook down.

No comments:

Post a Comment