Sunday, January 6, 2013

Savory Thyme Tomato and Goat Cheese Omelette

A few months ago I was in Manhattan at a restaurant in the Upper East Side and had the most delicious savory omelette with tomato and goat cheese. It was the perfect dinner, light and fluffy, and fresh. I decided when I got back home I'd have to try to replicate it, and oh my, was this good.




1/2 package of grape tomatoes (roughly 5 ounces)
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 eggs*
3 tablespoons milk (I prefer local raw milk or almond milk)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons soft goat cheese, cut in pieces
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 tablespoons olive oil (or 1 1/2 tablespoon if using a nonstick pan)
 
Cut the tomatoes (I halved some and quartered others). In a medium pan heat 3 tablespoons oil (or 1 tablespoon if using nonstick), once hot, add in the tomatoes, garlic, thyme. Saute over medium high for 4-6 minutes. Take out and place in a bowl. Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. In the same pan without rinsing it add in the last tablespoon of oil (or 1/2 tablespoon if using nonstick), pour in the egg mixture. Cook on medium low, once the top is barely runny add the sauteed tomato mixture to half, leaving behind any excess juices, then dot it with goat cheese. Fold the other half over carefully. Cook another two minutes over medium high heat. Serve immediately.

I made this for dinner and served it with a small side salad, it served 2.

*I have chickens in the back yard that lay the tiniest eggs you’ll ever see. So maybe 4 store bought eggs would be equivalent to my 6 eggs, your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment