Sunday, January 6, 2013

Winter Squash Soup

Mondays are perfect. Everything on my to-do list is accomplished on Monday, and I somehow always have time for the extra things I wish I could do throughout the week. And what’s more perfect than a beautiful Monday evening accompanied by the most satisfying subtle winter soup? Nothing. Nothing is more perfect.

1/4 cup butter/oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
32 ounces vegetable broth
1 1.5-pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 1.5-pound acorn squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes*
1 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
1 1/4 teaspoon fresh sage, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Heat the oil/butter in a large pot over medium heat, add in the onions and garlic, saute until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add in the spices, saute for another 2-3 minutes. Next add in the broth and squash and herbs, bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. With a lid on, cook for 30 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Let cool, then pulse in a blender until desired consistency, reheat, serve.
 
*Have you ever cut through a raw Acorn squash before? Because I haven’t, until this recipe. Let me just tell you now, it's almost impossible. Seriously, that’s what I was thinking as I was trying to cut this baby open ‘Holy moly, I’m going to kill myself! Or potentially chop off my hand by mistake’. I managed to halve it, but at that point I realized this was crazy. So I stuck it in the oven at 400°F and cooked it until I could use a spoon to scoop out the flesh. It was in there about 20 minutes- I highly suggest you do this. Unless you know a special acorn squash cutting trick that I don’t know about. If you can't halve it, make sure you poke holes in it before sticking it in the oven to bake.

Recipe adapted from Deb Perelman

No comments:

Post a Comment