Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Stephanie's Famous Flan

It started with a phone call from my mother, "Oh my god! Stephanie made the best flan ever and brought it into work today". Here I am thinking to myself, 'well this is a little strange, my mother hates flan- everyone knows she hates flan!'. But I, on the other hand love flan, so I harped Stephanie for the recipe and made it the following week for a family dinner at my Aunt's house. You know it has to be good when it gets the stamp of approval from my (sometimes difficult to please) food loving French-Moroccan-Argentinean mix of a family- and my mom!


2 eggs
2 14-ounce cans Moca condensed milk*
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar

Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a saucepan over medium heat add the sugar. Be patient, the sugar will liquify into a golden caramel sauce, careful not to let it burn. Caramel is infamous for going from golden to burnt in just a few seconds. Pour the hot caramel into a bundt pan, turn the pan around to coat the bottom and sides evenly. Using a mixer, blend the eggs, milk and condensed milk for five minutes. Pour mixture into the caramelized pan. Place into the oven in a water bath for 1-2 hours*, until the toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan, invert onto a plate, and cool in the refrigerator until serving.

*Stephanie insists on using Moca brand condensed milk and says the other brands don't come out with the same flavor. At my super market I found it in the latin foods aisle, but at another supermarket I found it where the rest of the condensed milk was, so keep your eyes peeled.

*For Stephanie's oven she only needed about an hour of cooking time, but for my oven I needed closer to two hours. Just go by the toothpick test and you'll be okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment